Monday, April 26, 2010

lifting the fog

Last night, I was caught up in a dream. During that dream, I walked through what appeared to be intense darkness, as if I were in the middle of the night. You know that 3am darkness? That kind of dark. Yet, as I was walking, there came a certain clarity. The darkness began to lift a little more each step. As I walked, I became aware that the darkness was just a fog. It was thick, but it was only a fog. Like fog, it is short lived when exposed to the sun. It is in a fixed locale and one can walk through it and out of it as long as you stay straight and true and avoid going in circles.

As I was on my way into work this morning, it actually was foggy. Not as thick as in the dream, but thick enough. As I drive, I love to dialogue with God. In doing so, I came to see where the dream speaks of different seasons in our lives.

It is so easy to get a fog over yourself and not realize where or when it came. We mistake fog for true darkness, when it is nothing of the sort. If you expose the fog to the light, to the Son, the fog begins to burn. Ultimately, it will lift. In the mean time, keep straight and true on the path, in the Way.

I believe that we are in a time of great fog. A time when it is difficult to know what comes next and where to turn. It is a time when we can easily get confused. When clarity loses its edge. Don't be fooled. Name the fog for what it is and continue to trust in Him who can guide without roads or signs. This fog is only temporary. And it comes out of a clashing of two different times meeting in the same place. We are called to continue straight.

1 comment:

CTKgal said...

Thanks, Frank. This is a beautiful reminder to keep focused on Jesus.
Esp when we can't see the road clearly, we keep walking , give thanks in all times and spaces, and just trusting, because God does know exactly where we are.